Search

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Happy New Year 2016

It has become fashionable of late to blame the year 2016 for those things which have occurred within it. And make no mistake, some very stupid or unfortunate things did occur. But on balance, for me, 2016 has been one of the best years of my life. I'm writing this today from a place that I couldn't have imagined I would ever end up, high above the Mediterranean overlooking an ancient city, watching dawn rise on golden stone. Professionally and personally things just seem to keep getting better. The good Doctor and I are happy, we live in a beautiful place, there's a cat who is spoiled beyond belief, and he is constantly surrounded by books in his library in the sky.

I feel like I read less each passing year. I blame it on these fiendishly convenient and engaging little devices which allow us to bring games and social connections and all of the wonderful stupidity of the internet to bed with us. It's too easy to pick up the ipad and play a game. And then, there are a few elements in this grand and complicated life that distract from reading. But, at the same time, there's been a whole lot of plane travel this year, and a lot of nights in hotel rooms, and these are places that help me focus on the book at hand.

I hope that 2016 was not the flaming-trash-fire it has been popular to call it for you. I hope your life exceeded some of your greatest expectations, as mine did. And I hope you got to read a lot of words. After all, they're all we have to go on.

12/31/2016
-tf

No comments: